When I try to sign in, I get a "Service Unavailable," "You are currently offline," or "Action cancelled" error. How can I fix this?
You may need to unblock RealPlayer in your computer's firewall or anti-virus software if:
- You get a 'Service Unavailable' or 'you are working offline, click here to refresh' error while trying to sign in or view pages, or an 'Action cancelled' message when you try to play a clip.
- RealPlayer is having problems retrieving CD information.
Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm, AVG, Windows Firewall, and Microsoft ISA server are some of the most common brands of firewall software. Instructions for these follow:
1. Close the program.
2. Double-click the Norton Firewall icon in the Windows task bar.
3. Click the Configure button on the right side.
4. Click the Program Control tab at the top.
5. Locate the program (RealPlayer).
6. Highlight and click Remove.
7. Close Norton Personal Firewall.
8. Open the program and you will get a prompt to grant access to the Internet.
9. Choose Permit and check Always use this action.
10. Restart the computer.
If you are still receiving a "Service Unavailable" error, contact Norton at https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/info to find out how to configure it correctly.
McAfee Personal Firewall:
There are two possible methods for McAfee Personal Firewall. You can choose either one:
1. Double-click the firewall icon in the Windows task bar.
2. From the left side, click on Internet Applications.
3. Click New Allowed Application.
4. Locate RealPlay.exe (C:\Program Files\real\realplayer\).
5. Click on the program, then click Open.
6. Close the McAfee Personal Firewall.
7. Restart the computer.
1. Double-click the firewall icon in the system tray.
2. Click Internet Applications from the left side.
3. Locate and remove RealPlayer from the list. Close McAfee Personal Firewall.
4. The next time you run the program, you will be prompted by McAfee to allow or deny access to the Internet. Choose Allow.
McAfee Security Center:
1. Close the program and any other programs that you have open.
2. Double-click the Security Center icon in the Windows task bar.
3. Click Personal Firewall on the left side.
4. Click View the Internet Applications List.
5. Click New Allowed Application.
6. Locate RealPlay.exe (C:\Program Files\real\realplayer\).
7. Click on the program, then click Open.
8. Close the McAfee Personal Firewall.
9. Close McAfee Security Center.
10. Right-click the McAfee icon next to the clock and click on disable Personal privacy services.
If you are still receiving a "Service Unavailable" error, contact McAfee at http://us.mcafee.com/root/support.asp to find out how to configure it correctly.
1. Open ZoneAlarm.
2. Click Program Control.
3. Click on Programs.
4. Find the program in the list.
5. Next to the program's name in the Access column, both Trusted and Internet must have checkmarks in them. If you have a ? or an X in Trusted or Internet, then click the ? or X and choose Allow. This will change the ? or X into a checkmark.
6. This should correct the connection problems you are encountering.
If you are still receiving a "Service Unavailable" error, contact Zone Labs at http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/support/zonealarm-service-support.htm to find out how to configure it correctly.
1. Open AVG Firewall.
2. Firewall Mode: Click Change.
3. Click Applications.
4. Click Add.
5. Click Path and locate RealPlay.exe (C:\Program Files (x86)\Real)\RealPlayer).
6. Click Create.
7. Select Allow under Application action and click OK.
8. Click Apply and OK.
1. Click Start and select Control Panel.
2. Select Security Center.
3. Click Windows Firewall.
4. Ensure the Firewall is set to On (recommended).
5. Click the Exceptions tab.
6. Click the Add Program button.
7. Locate and select RealTimes or RealPlayer.
8. Click OK.
9. Ensure that RealTimes or RealPlayer is in the Programs and Services column and the box is checked.
10. Click OK.
For Microsoft ISA server, please review:
- Microsoft KB article 288734, RealPlayer Cannot Connect to the Internet Through ISA Server: