Why does the installation freeze or give me an error message?
Windows users: Make sure that you are attempting the installation from an administrator account on the computer. Also, verify that your User Account Control has been enabled and then try the installation again. For directions on turning on the User Account Control, click here.
Solution 1: Make sure your operating system is up to date.
Windows 7 and 8 users: Make sure that you have Service Pack 1 installed on your PC. Then, restart your computer and try installing RealPlayer again.
Windows 8.1 users: Make sure you have installed the Windows 8.1 update. Then, restart your computer and try installing RealPlayer again.
Solution 2: Empty the contents of the TEMP folder.
Whenever tasks are completed or a program closes, files are stored in the TEMP folder. If many files have accumulated in the folder, you may receive errors that prevent the installation from completing.
To delete the files in the TEMP folder:
1. Open the TEMP folder inside the Windows folder on the C: drive (C:\Windows\Temp).
2. From the Edit menu, choose Select All.
3. From the File menu, choose Delete.
4. When asked if you are sure you want to delete these items, click Yes.
5. Once these steps are complete, close any open windows and restart the computer. Once the computer has restarted, try the installation again.
Note: If you receive an error that a file or folder can not be deleted because it is in use, skip the file and continue deleting the rest of the contents. Once you are finished clearing the rest of the contents, restart Windows and try these steps again before you open any other programs.
Solution 3: Free some hard disk space.
Your computer needs around 200 MB free hard disk space before you can install RealTimes or RealPlayer. Please ensure that you have enough space to install the player. You can make some space by emptying the Recycle bin on your computer desktop and deleting redundant files.
Solution 4: Close background programs.
Running many programs at once uses up your computer's resources; running fewer programs improves the performance of the programs you are actually using. There are obvious programs you can close, but you might need to close programs that run automatically in the background. See Close the programs running in the background in Windows for details.
Note: When installing the application, you can restart Windows in Safe Mode and try the installation again. For information on restarting in Safe Mode, consult your Windows help files.
Solution 5: Remove previous versions of the application.
Corrupted installations of older versions of the application may interfere with the installation of current versions. Removing these programs before installing can allow the installation to complete successfully:
1. Click the Start button, choose Settings, and then Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
3. Locate RealTimes, RealPlayer or RealPlayer Plus in the list of installed programs.
4. Select the application and click the Add/Remove button. If you have multiple RealTimes and RealPlayer programs listed, remove them as well.
5. Once you have removed all previous versions, restart Windows and install the latest version of RealTimes.
Solution 6: Run Microsoft's Fixit program.
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall and run the Fixit program. This tool is often helpful in cleaning up previous installations and fixing installer issues.