Why doesn't the Download This Video button appear on videos that I am watching?
If your download is successful, but you have problems finding or playing the video, please check this list of articles instead.
If the download button is not showing up, read the tips below.
The supported web browsers for Download This Video are:
- Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11
- Firefox 20 and above
- Google Chrome 35+
- Macintosh: Safari and Firefox (Mac users, click here)
Chrome 35+: If you have the latest version of RealPlayer Cloud (released Sept. 30, 2014), you can use our new downloader for Chrome. Read more here.
Windows 8: Download This Video will work only with the desktop version of the browser and not the Metro version.
Generally, the Download This Video button will appear only if all of the following are true:
- You have the latest build of RealPlayer.
- The plugin is installed on the browser you are using.
- The latest Adobe Flash Player is installed on your computer. (Click here to install it.)
- The website is not preventing viewers from downloading their content. (If your download consists only of an ad or just a few seconds of the video, then the video is not available for download.)
Note: If you use IE or Firefox, Download This Video will not work if your browser is set to Private Browsing. Please close and re-launch the browser window and try again.
To open a test video in a new page, click here.
If you are still experiencing problems, follow the steps below to ensure that your Player is up-to-date and your browser settings are correct.
Note: After downloading a new build of RealPlayer, updating your browser, or enabling any plugins, restart your computer and then try your video download again.
Solution 1: To download the latest version of RealPlayer, go to www.real.com or:
1. Open RealPlayer.
2. Click the RealPlayer logo.
3. Click Check for Update.
4. Check the box next to RealPlayer.
5. Click Install Updates. If you don't see RealPlayer in the available updates, you most likely have the latest version.
NOTE: If you have purchased an older version of RealPlayer Plus (such as 14 or 15), you will lose your Plus features if you upgrade to RealPlayer 16 without purchasing RealPlayer Plus 16.
Solution 2: Check that the plugin is enabled in your browsers; follow the instructions for your browser (IE, Firefox, or Chrome):
Watch this video to learn how, or follow the instructions below.
1. Click Tools (the cog icon at the upper right of the browser window).
2. Click Internet Options.
3. Choose Advanced. Make sure "Enable third-party browser extensions" is checked and click OK.
4. Go back to Tools and select Manage Add-ons.
5. Locate "RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin" (see image below for an example).
6. Ensure that it says "Enabled" under the Status column.
7. If it is disabled, click on the plugin.
8. In the lower portion of the window, click Enable and click OK. (You will need to close and reopen Internet Explorer.)
1. Click the Settings icon (three horizontal lines) in the upper right corner. (In older versions, click the Firefox button in the top left corner.)
2. Select Add-ons, then Extensions.
3. Locate RealDownloader.
4. If the button says "Disable" that means the plugin is currently enabled.
5. If the button says "Enable" then click that button.
6. Restart Firefox.
Please read this article for instructions on downloading videos in Google Chrome.
If you have updated to the most recent version of RealPlayer Cloud and still do not see the new Downloader button at the top of your browser window, do the following:
1. If you are on a 64-bit system, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\RealNetworks\RealDownloader
If you are on a 32-bit system, go to C:\Program Files\RealNetworks\RealDownloader
2. Double click downloader2.exe -- this should install the new Downloader for Chrome onto your PC.
3. Restart your browser.
Note: "Download This Video" will not appear if you're using a 64-bit browser. Even on a 64-bit OS, people generally have a 32-bit version of Chrome installed. To check, open your computer's Task Manager while you have a Chrome browser window open. If you see "chome.exe *32" then you have a 32-bit browser and the downloader should work.
If you have tried these steps are still not seeing the Download This Video button, try this: With the player open on your desktop, click the logo in the upper left and select Download a Video – this opens the downloader and you can paste in the URL of the video you wish to download.
If you can download some videos but not others, there is a chance that the website that you are viewing does not allow video downloads or that specific video has been blocked by the content provider.
As a final troubleshooting step, try uninstalling and reinstalling RealPlayer. If you still experience problems downloading videos on Firefox or Google Chrome, you can also try uninstalling and reinstalling the web browser.