Is it possible to upload subtitles or have a .srt (subtitles) file play with the videos when casting videos through Chromecast?
Yes--if you have an Android device and there is an .srt or .smi file associated with the video, then subtitles will appear when playing the video on your device and when casting it to your TV with Chromecast.
If your movie has an .srt file but you are not seeing the subtitles, try these troubleshooting steps:
1. Make sure the .srt or .smi file is not still in a .zip format (downloaded .srt's quite often are) and make sure it's named similarly to the video.
2. The subtitle file can be placed in the Download folder on Android devices in order to show in the picker list in-player; the movie file doesn't have to be in the same folder.
3. If the two file names are different but they reside in the same folder, then you can add subtitles manually:
- While movie is playing, tap the three vertical dots at the top right corner.
- Tap Add Subtitles.
- Choose the appropriate subtitle (available only if the srt file resides in the same folder).
- If you have multiple subtitle files (different languages), then they will also show in the list.