How can I make sure I have permission to write to the TEMP folder and the Windows system folders?
Windows has a TEMP folder in the Windows folder that is used by programs to store temporary files. Windows creates this folder if it does not already exist for some reason. If you do not have permission to write to this folder you may receive system errors.
If you discover there is no TEMP folder in the expected location or if you receive an error message indicating you do not have permission to complete any of these steps, contact your system administrator. Windows XP and higher operating systems require that you have administrator rights to make the changes described in the instructions below.
To verify that you have permission to write to the TEMP folder and the Windows system folders:
1. Click the Start button and click My Computer.
2. Double-click to open drive C.
3. Right-click the Windows folder and choose Properties.
4. Click to clear the Read-only check box if it is selected.
5. Repeat these steps for the TEMP folder and the System folder inside the Windows folder.
6. Once these steps are complete, close any open windows and restart the computer.